mGa KuRo-KuRo Ni Ka UrO

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Getting a Gmail Account for Free

I can't believe that some people are actually selling Gmail account invites in Ebay. Gmail is an experiment in a new kind of webmail, built on the idea that you should never have to delete mail and you should always be able to find the message you want.

Gmail is from Google, so you use Google’s search features to find your emails. You have 1GB to store all your emails, so practically, you don’t need to delete anything (I’m a bit skeptical about this though). No need to sort or organize emails either.

It seems that Gmail is a growing fad among geeks like me. You’re not quite a geek if you have no Gmail account.

Unlike Hotmail or Yahoo, you can’t just register and get a Gmail account. Getting one is by invitation only. (Clever marketing I'd say). The invite comes in the form of an an email containing an activation key. Some people sell these invites in Ebay just because these invites are limited and the demand exists.

But why buy when you can get one for free. There is a website http://isnoop.net/gmail/ you can go to and get an invite. This website is a place for people with Gmail invites and those who want them to come together with minimal effort and fuss. All you need to do is enter your current email address and click a button. Wait a few minutes and open your email and you should find your Gmail invitation with a valid activation key.

However, a word of caution: Being experimental, Gmail still has some issues and problems, which I'm sure will be sorted out in time. So, I suggest that you still keep your current email address even if you decide to switch to Gmail.

I think it is worth a try. It's free anyway.

7 Comments:

  • that was fast! i now have a gmail account. weeee! thanks for the link, ka uro! mabuhay ka!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:36 PM, March 15, 2005  

  • dom, lang anuman. salamat sa pagbisita dito.

    By Blogger Ka Uro, at 3:40 PM, March 15, 2005  

  • This reminded me of what I heard on the news the other day about somebody was selling on eBay a critical upgrade for a certain device. The thing is, the critical upgrade will be available by the manufacturer for free in a week's time! Too bad for those who aren't informed of this as they may bid on the upgrade thinking it's the only way to acquire it.

    As for Gmail, I have received an invite for this a long time ago. I of course promptly created an account for myself but I hardly ever use it. I'm still a Yahoo (Australia) mail user. Although they don't offer one gig of space, I find their service more efficient somewhat. That and I don't really need that big a space as I use the Yahoo mailbox mainly as a POP3 mailbox.

    By Blogger Gabeprime, at 7:53 PM, March 15, 2005  

  • It's a good ploy by Google to make Gmail accounts available by invite only. It makes you feel special being invited as though you are one of a select few. Although I think eventually Gmail will just be available to anyone just like Yahoo or Hotmail. By then it won't be a fad anymore.

    By Blogger Ka Uro, at 8:03 PM, March 15, 2005  

  • i have 56 invites left in my account so anyone needing it just email me.

    This is forst I heard of Gmail acocunts being auctioned in eBay..along with a supposedly used underwear? hehehehe

    By Blogger Cerridwen, at 7:22 PM, March 22, 2005  

  • @cerridwen, you can also go to http://isnoop.net/gmail/ to donate those gmail accounts for others to use. used underwear? ba't di ko alam yon. hehe

    By Blogger Ka Uro, at 10:46 PM, March 22, 2005  

  • more than 2gb na po to store your mails!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:16 AM, May 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
eXTReMe Tracker